The Basic Life Support course teaches learners to recognize several life-threatening emergencies and to respond appropriately. Training includes instructions for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of automated external defibrillators (AEDs). The course also covers relief of choking including interventions such as the Heimlich maneuver and back blows/chest thrusts. The BLS course curriculum includes rescue guidelines for infants, children, and adults.
Who should take this course?
The BLS certification course is designed for healthcare professionals including physicians, physician assistants, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, paramedics, pharmacists, physical therapists, dentists, medical students, and other healthcare professionals. The BLS course is also useful for anyone who needs to know how to perform CPR such as athletic trainers, teachers, coaches, lifeguards, and social workers. BLS certification will help give you the confidence to quickly and properly provide high-quality life support when it is needed.
What does this course teach?
- High-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Initiate the chain of survival as soon as a possible problem is identified
- Initiate immediate high-quality chest compressions for any victim
- Provide early defibrillation with an automated external defibrillator (AED) when one is available
- Initiate rescue breathing when respiration is inadequate
- Perform BLS as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Relieve a choking episode in adults and infants